I woke up one morning and found myself puzzled at a thought that crossed my mind as I was getting ready to go to bed the night before. It never really occurred to me, even when I first started writing the blog. And I realized that I must share it with everyone. It was one expression we commonly use, “bitter sweet,” and was amazed how people are able to use contradicting definitions to express a moment or a feeling. Then, it was one expression that caught onto two other words that got my attention and left me thinking at both times- better and blessed. I asked myself, “what is common between those words, and why do we say ‘bitter sweet’ to express or define success after hardship, a baby’s appearance after troubling labor pain, a loving couple’s fight, relief in finding the way to the destination. The process; hard, ambiguous, long, and tiring, usually referred as ‘bitter;’ the satisfying thought of knowing that there’s a positive outcome, ‘sweet,’ is why and what we obtain after we endure the obstacles and difficulties (bitterness).
By the end of the day I realized one common thing amongst all those words: the usage of one letter used twice. It was mere coincidence and I was surprised by this unthought-of occasion; I am currently writing a blog with a theme of all the things that occurred to me secondly or the things that happen secondly generally in life. I felt like it was a new thought that imposed itself on me, which I couldn’t bring myself to ignore. I found myself wondering what would I blog about even when discovering the common feature in those words. There was nothing to write about- so I put my pen and notepad down and made way to finish my to-do list for the day.
“Sorrow, marriage, worry, fall, deed, loose,” were words marking the beginning of what my mind’s thoughts were scrambling with as I was doing a few chores. In a matter of minutes I found myself writing tens of words with the same feature, ‘same letter repetition’ within the word itself. I stared blankly at the list knowingly sure that there must be a more or deeper commonality among those words than just that one discovered feature. I suggested digging into myself even more by bringing out their anonyms. I uncomprehendingly skimmed the list of words, this time with a confused smile on my face. I started jotting down the words’ antonyms and found that the majority of the words’ antonyms didn’t have the repeated letter within itself.
As I read the words out loud I noticed that that the repetition of the letters brought out emphasis to the word. When people spelt those words out, there must have been a relation with ‘sound’ (phonetically speaking) and spelling the words out; the ‘t’ in bitter is emphasized with the usage of two ‘t’s, the same goes with loose, marriage, etc. Despite that, something even further caught my attention. Did those people realize that in all those words those two repeated letters might bring emphasis on the word’s meaning, depth, and relation to us and our lives? Was this point even considered while spelling those words out? This was the “discovery” I have made, which all sprung from the expression ‘bitter sweet’ and my curiosity carried me away to this conclusion.
Here is the list of words I came up with which I would like to share with you, added with a few personal thoughts. You may and do not have to agree with my findings, but I thought of ‘thinking out loud’ with you-maybe you have different thoughts, maybe you are content with the fact that they are spelt the way they are because of phonetic reasons we don’t need to worry ourselves with or because they are just like other words that are spelt, and maybe this is too minor of an issue for you to ravage your mind with. I agree with any of what you relate to and decide, because I believe no matter the majority rule there will always be exceptions. I simply thought that just like a few words triggered my mind and provoked it to think about this, maybe anything or something passing along your way could possibly arouse a few new thoughts or the unison of existing bouncing ones, that would challenge your mind and make you feel more connected to the world, humanity, or yourself. Maybe this is how Einstein made his breakthroughs in science; curiosity leading to the initiation of creativity, eventually invoking connectivity and relativity to the universe.
I wrote down a few of my personal interpretations of a few words in the list. You may add and omit to the list if you wish. Please feel free to share your thoughts.
When we count our blessings we have more than a handful to be thankful for. Maybe there are two s’s in bless because in life, we have more than one blessing/gift to show gratitude to.
When we are happy, the emotional state we are in is inexplicable. Like depression, it takes so much strength and energy from our inner selves to be severely sad or ecstatically happy.
Marriage takes two people to take shape and form. What do you think might be another reason for the two r’s in this word? It might be that the work, effort, challenges and energy put in marriage is double than what you would put if you are single. It may symbolize the number of people needed to make this union...? On another note though, all the efforts, challenges, and energy put in a marriage is just as much as when going through and coping with a divorce.
God is the most forgiving, without his mercy our sins would never find a way to be replaced with deeds. We think that deeds are only done so that we build our kingdom in heaven and are related only to the hereafter. But we should do deeds for both worlds: on earth while we live because deeds come in the form of good doings which make life more humane, kind, and pave way to finding goodness around us instead of evil. If you are a believer in heaven and hell, you know that doing more deeds than sins would lead you to Paradise in the afterlife. Maybe there are two e’s in deed because there are two worlds we should do them for, maybe because it so much harder (taking so much will and power) to do a deed and be in the righteous path than it is to commit a sin, and maybe I could be wrong. I think that this assumption could also be applied for good and bad.
You cannot put a price tag on freedom. Unlike confinement, freedom is liberal, without restraint, and independent. When you are under control and restrained, your voice is never heard and your actions and rights are limited. Freedom finds itself in both voice and actions- is this the reason freedom has two e’s? Possible.
Maybe the word written has two t’s because there are two things that are noted down for you when you are created: the day you are born and the day you die. All what is in between is unknown.
Everything in moderation brings forth the pleasure and satisfaction to oneself. But addiction, like the ones we have for chocolate, drugs, cigarettes, men, etc. is dangerous. Do you think the two d’s in addiction means that we it is dangerous for us and that may have more than one addiction which may bring us imbalance? I don’t know- but possible?
| Addiction |
Agree |
Attach |
Better |
Bitter |
Bless |
Borrow |
Boss |
Bully |
Commitment |
Cooperate |
Correct |
Deed |
Depression |
Disappointment |
Fall |
Follow |
Freedom |
Full |
Fuss |
Good |
Greed |
Happiness |
Illusion |
Impress |
Kiss |
Loose |
Marriage |
Mass |
Mess |
Mirror |
Miss |
Moon |
Odd |
See/Look |
Shatter |
Sleep |
Sorrow |
Swallow |
Sweet |
Wedding |
Worry |
Written |
I wish you find your troubles taste sweeter than ‘bitter sweet.’
I hope you find yourself a better person when you discover more of who you are.
And I pray your life is continuously filled with blessings, which I hope you never forget to be thankful for.
On the occasion of Thanksgiving and my birthday, both celebrated on October 10th, I would like to seize this opportunity in thanking everyone who reads my blog in all four corners of the world. I am truly grateful for my freedom in expression, ability of writing and the capacity of sharing. But I am a million more times thankful for your readership and support.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families.*
*Thanksgiving in Canada is celebrated on October 10.
P.S. Is it also a coincidence that my birthday is on 10/10? Just realized that my blog, this post, Thanksgiving, and my birthday all have one thing in common...
Are you in Pain?
ReplyDeleteAren't we all in some way?
ReplyDeleteyeah, but painful things tend to be forgotten somehow. my pain is hunting me..
ReplyDeleteFunny how you say that... my past haunts me too. But somehow we face it difeerently as time passes...
ReplyDeletewhich past is haunting you if you do not mind me asking. and how are you facing it? maybe we have something in common..
ReplyDeleteThe past has passed..it's better to not talk about it anymore.
ReplyDeleteLike I once wrote before, we all have similar lives, almost the same stories and we always tell it, share it and live it. The only difference is how we embrace our life with life itself.