Monday, January 05, 2015

Lady Adourian's Rug Store

This was posted on my Facebook on January 2, 2015. 

A few days ago I walked in to a rug store named Oriental Rugs by Adourian’s Rug Galleries.I was always curious to check it out. As I stepped in, I found an old aged lady sitting near the door in the midst of a large dimmed space surrounded by countless rugs of various sizes, colors and patterns. I asked her about the rugs; the make, thread count, material etc. I was excited when she said that all the rugs were handmade and were authentically Persian and Kashmir made rugs. She proudly presented her collection of rugs and confidently replied back to my questions. Out of  curiosity I asked her where she’s from. She said she was Palestinian - Armenian, and this is where the conversation of almost 90 minutes started. 

She fondly spoke of her late husband: a prominent man within the Torontonian society and narrated to me her story- starting from her childhood upbringing in the Holy Land until this very moment. This widow unveiled the beauty of Palestine where people from the three major religions co-existed, loved and respected one another. They celebrated every holiday freely and yet in unity. And as she went down memory lane, I was introduced to villages, cities, and foods I haven’t heard of before; I was fascinated with all the rich history, tradition and culture of a people that are now dispersed and spread out all over the world. She painfully discussed the brutality of the war and the genocides which frightened families, the elderly, women and children alike. She survived many death attempts and witnessed the killings of friends in front of her own eyes as a child. One of her wishes is to witness the day that people would find peace in their hearts so that peace could be found amongst the people- and land could be shared to provide home, security and stability for everyone, just like the good old days. 

I let her speak, tried to tame my curiosity as I didn’t want to interrupt her urge to share her proud heritage. I asked a few questions- and every time I asked, more stories were unveiled until I got introduced to her entire family: their names, ages, interests, earned degrees, current residence, nephews, nieces, etc. This lady made me feel like I'm sitting beside my own grandparents as I was growing up- learning about the disputed land I belong to but don’t live in. 

Aside from the fact that this lady owns a beautiful rug store of almost 40 years old, she has taken my breath away with all her stories, kept me speechless, and left me reflecting..

If you live in Toronto or know anyone who does, I think it would mean the world for this lady if you pay her a visit. Whether you end up buying a rug or not is not the intended outcome, what matters most is how you make this widow feel. She has no children, stands on her feet in the store all by herself- day in day out, locking up her doors as soon the sun sets out of fear. 

Liking this status is not enough.. and is not the objective. What you will do next will count. Start the year with doing something good and make someone smile. Do small things that are profound and grand on every single level. 


If you are interested, the store stands on 89 King Street East.  Happy New Year to All. 

No comments:

Post a Comment