A Humbling Experience:
Of a 50 year old woman walking out of my physical therapist's clinic. Her husband embraced her as they were joyfully saying good-bye to the doctor at the end of their visit, and she says in an unclear yet cheerful tone, "I just can't wait to start working out again!"
At first glance, it was a happy scene to see, but when I looked again, I found out that this woman had her neck wrapped up in layers of medical bandage. She smiled to me and as she did I couldn't stop thinking how she must be enduring so much pain at whatever injury she may have at this age. Her husband put her coat on and off they went.
I stepped into the office and the doctor shared her story with me. He said, "She is the most beautiful lady I have met. If only you know what she went through. First, she was diagnosed with cancer in her throat and she just had a surgery to remove the tube connecting her vocal chords to her stomach. It went well, but as she was recovering, they discovered a tumor in the back of her neck- on vital spinal vertebrates. And again, she undertook another surgery to remove it. So now she is all stitched up- front and back, with a voice barely heard. She doesn't care how many times she has to repeat herself to anyone, as long as they had the patience and care enough to decipher what she says. To everyone around her it was a matter of making it or not through the surgery, whereas to her, it was about when will she get up to face the world again and get back on her feet: back to work, working out, and going on all the adventurous trips she arranges seasonally with her family. She sleeps well, she laughs from her heart, she teases her husband, she walks 20 minutes a day; she seems like she has what it takes to be called 'a woman without a single defeated cell in her body.' She only knows how to be stronger within herself and the only thing she really knows is to be happy. When I first met her, I was really hesitant- whether to take her in as my patient or not- to be honest I was overwhelmed. But after the first five minutes of talking to her, I knew this woman is a wonder- she fascinated me and I couldn't let her down. Soon, she will be having another surgery, but she isn't at all worried. She lost 40 pounds because she is fed through tubes and takes it so lightly, jokingly admitting she had already wanted to lose weight anyways. She really just can't wait to get back to her life. And she knows she could do it."
I listened to the doctor say all this- I was silenced and humbled. Humbled at a woman 30 years older than myself who seemed to be so much stronger than a girl at the prime age of strength. Here I am complaining of my injuries, dreading every treatment session, and can't come to peace with my inability to exercise. As much as I try to embrace my condition, I fail to make full peace with it. I cope with it, yes I sure try to, but you can't fully embrace something if you are not fully accepting it, good or bad, and strong enough to see what's beyond the defeating experience. I am humbled, and once again reminded, that after roaring thunders, heavy showering rains, a hidden rainbow is ready to appear. Just like this woman's smile as she was walking out of her appointment and can't wait to start getting her life back to normal, if not better.
I am blessed to encounter such occurrences- to always be reminded, to be strong, patient, grateful and optimistic. I hope this story makes you reflect a bit, but more so, shed some light on the definitions of blessing, strength and gratitude.
Of a 50 year old woman walking out of my physical therapist's clinic. Her husband embraced her as they were joyfully saying good-bye to the doctor at the end of their visit, and she says in an unclear yet cheerful tone, "I just can't wait to start working out again!"
At first glance, it was a happy scene to see, but when I looked again, I found out that this woman had her neck wrapped up in layers of medical bandage. She smiled to me and as she did I couldn't stop thinking how she must be enduring so much pain at whatever injury she may have at this age. Her husband put her coat on and off they went.
I stepped into the office and the doctor shared her story with me. He said, "She is the most beautiful lady I have met. If only you know what she went through. First, she was diagnosed with cancer in her throat and she just had a surgery to remove the tube connecting her vocal chords to her stomach. It went well, but as she was recovering, they discovered a tumor in the back of her neck- on vital spinal vertebrates. And again, she undertook another surgery to remove it. So now she is all stitched up- front and back, with a voice barely heard. She doesn't care how many times she has to repeat herself to anyone, as long as they had the patience and care enough to decipher what she says. To everyone around her it was a matter of making it or not through the surgery, whereas to her, it was about when will she get up to face the world again and get back on her feet: back to work, working out, and going on all the adventurous trips she arranges seasonally with her family. She sleeps well, she laughs from her heart, she teases her husband, she walks 20 minutes a day; she seems like she has what it takes to be called 'a woman without a single defeated cell in her body.' She only knows how to be stronger within herself and the only thing she really knows is to be happy. When I first met her, I was really hesitant- whether to take her in as my patient or not- to be honest I was overwhelmed. But after the first five minutes of talking to her, I knew this woman is a wonder- she fascinated me and I couldn't let her down. Soon, she will be having another surgery, but she isn't at all worried. She lost 40 pounds because she is fed through tubes and takes it so lightly, jokingly admitting she had already wanted to lose weight anyways. She really just can't wait to get back to her life. And she knows she could do it."
I listened to the doctor say all this- I was silenced and humbled. Humbled at a woman 30 years older than myself who seemed to be so much stronger than a girl at the prime age of strength. Here I am complaining of my injuries, dreading every treatment session, and can't come to peace with my inability to exercise. As much as I try to embrace my condition, I fail to make full peace with it. I cope with it, yes I sure try to, but you can't fully embrace something if you are not fully accepting it, good or bad, and strong enough to see what's beyond the defeating experience. I am humbled, and once again reminded, that after roaring thunders, heavy showering rains, a hidden rainbow is ready to appear. Just like this woman's smile as she was walking out of her appointment and can't wait to start getting her life back to normal, if not better.
I am blessed to encounter such occurrences- to always be reminded, to be strong, patient, grateful and optimistic. I hope this story makes you reflect a bit, but more so, shed some light on the definitions of blessing, strength and gratitude.
No comments:
Post a Comment