January 3, 2013
The most beautiful thing happened today- a moment of reflection:
As I was waiting for the light to turn green in the super cold I saw an old lady on the opposite side, all tied up with scarves and leaning on two canes. The light turned green and as I crossed the street the old lady was struggling between the canes, the slippery ice on the ground and covering her mouth with a handkerchief to minimize inhaling the cold wind. I offered to help and cross her over to the other side. The point is not what I did but what she said:
'We live in a very cruel world and times have changed- it's sad but true and I have to accept it. Today my child we can buy anything but not everything. We can buy shoes, homes, cars, useless and useful things, and the list is endless, but you can never buy health or family. Those are never for sale and will never be bought. Don't spend your money except on education- because everything loses value except knowledge. Beware of who your friends are and choose wisely the man you marry. I hope you end up with a man that when you grow old with you would talk to each other and have a discussion- sex, sex is fun yes and especially when you are young- but you can have that with anyone-but to have a conversation is what really matters when you are my age.'
She ended her words of wisdom on a light note and I found myself laughing after being so touched : 'and if you change your mind and have sex before marriage, please let him wear a condom! '
The beauty of this moment made me stop and think over the things I heard her say. We usually read about all what she said but to hear it from a stranger is a remarkable sign to make us re-prioritize our priorities, an indication that no matter what the world comes up with the importance of the intangible is priceless, and that no matter how old one becomes, one should always be grateful.
This amazing lady's name is Claudette, comes from Austria and lived in Canada for 50 years. She is a psychologist. We walked three blocks together. God bless her beautiful soul.
As I was waiting for the light to turn green in the super cold I saw an old lady on the opposite side, all tied up with scarves and leaning on two canes. The light turned green and as I crossed the street the old lady was struggling between the canes, the slippery ice on the ground and covering her mouth with a handkerchief to minimize inhaling the cold wind. I offered to help and cross her over to the other side. The point is not what I did but what she said:
'We live in a very cruel world and times have changed- it's sad but true and I have to accept it. Today my child we can buy anything but not everything. We can buy shoes, homes, cars, useless and useful things, and the list is endless, but you can never buy health or family. Those are never for sale and will never be bought. Don't spend your money except on education- because everything loses value except knowledge. Beware of who your friends are and choose wisely the man you marry. I hope you end up with a man that when you grow old with you would talk to each other and have a discussion- sex, sex is fun yes and especially when you are young- but you can have that with anyone-but to have a conversation is what really matters when you are my age.'
She ended her words of wisdom on a light note and I found myself laughing after being so touched : 'and if you change your mind and have sex before marriage, please let him wear a condom! '
The beauty of this moment made me stop and think over the things I heard her say. We usually read about all what she said but to hear it from a stranger is a remarkable sign to make us re-prioritize our priorities, an indication that no matter what the world comes up with the importance of the intangible is priceless, and that no matter how old one becomes, one should always be grateful.
This amazing lady's name is Claudette, comes from Austria and lived in Canada for 50 years. She is a psychologist. We walked three blocks together. God bless her beautiful soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment